Thursday, October 8, 2009

The Snow Aftermath!

Our little snowstorm last week netted us 12" of super wet heavy snow which fell on trees that still had mostly green leaves. This left us with quite the tree devastation and 2 days worth of a blocked driveway. It will also give us a fun project to take care of as soon as the fields are dry and/or frozen enough to drive the truck on.

And here's a pic I took while trying to take a picture of the sunset and snow covered mountains but was too late to really get the mountains.

Meanwhile, in all this cold weather Matthew has taken to his blankies quite readily. In fact, I'm already getting the feeling that this might be the blankie we have to argue about when he heads off to kindergarten. At least this week it's been magic. I put it on him and he smiles and then many times will fall asleep!
Here's Matthew, later in the day, happy about his blankie and our upcoming trip into town to run errands.

Now, as all moms know, having a baby means that somehow other people around you lose their sense of personal space and most of the time this is okay because you understand how irresistably precious your child is. On this particular trip, a woman saw I had an orange outfit in my cart and after getting way too close to me and Matthew who was in his wrap, proceeds to grab the outfit out of my cart and ask what Matthew's going to be for Halloween. To her dismay the orange outfit was not his costume, but in fact just a sale onesie. I think next time I'm at Wal-Mart I'll go up to a random stranger, grab food out of their cart and ask what they'll have for dinner just to double check if this is social acceptable : )

The most unfortunate part of the trip was that I had joked before leaving that I was going to see www.peopleofwalmart.com the live version. Well . . . it was even better than some of the ridiculousness on the website as Wal-Mart was having some sort of KISS promotion and offered free KISS facepainting and had a pretty odd KISS stage set up in electronics. Needless to say I passed on getting Matthew's face painted but saw many odd creatures of Wal-Mart that day.

The skipping of fall and heading directly to winter has left me a little unprepared. For instance, I don't ever know what clothes to put him so that he's not too warm while we run errands and he's snuggled against me and not too cold between the car and the store etc. I don't think I've ruined him yet, but according to every little old lady I know he seems to always be too hot or too cold to them. Generally, if I can get him out the door with clean, dry pants and a shirt and socks I feel pretty darn good : )

However, Safeway and Wal-Mart have some special force field that attracts baby socks throughout the store and we rarely leave with both on. I've been thinking about buying some leather shoes for Matthew to keep his socks on and thus, keep his feet warm (I guess they're the new, hip, developmentally correct shoe for babies. Gosh, if only someone has invented these sooner . . . ) . However, I realized we had been given the perfect set of original leather shoes that stay on his chubby little ankles and keep his feet warm : ) Unfortunately, they are tanned leather and strongly smell like rawhide, which to the pups should be their yummy dog treat so we have to supervise the mocassins closely.

And here's June giving Matthew kisses (only because Sky drove her away from the shoe sniffing position):


And here's Matthew after he's finally made the connection that when he moves his arms he can hit the things on his activity mat.


And this video is mostly for my Dad as proof that June in fact instigates many of the fights with Sky. Matthew (in the background noise) was not impressed with the dogs' antics:


No comments:

Post a Comment

Five on Friday

1.  Look at these winter white legs out enjoying the sunshine at the dino park.  Spring has FINALLY sprung! These boys went from winter di...